Assistant General Counsel
Date: 22 Aug 2023
Be a Part of Something BIG!
This role will dually report to the Group General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel and work closely with business units and internal stakeholders to advance and protect Singtel’s business. In general, the Assistant General Counsel (AGC) acts as a strategic legal partner to the business units solving problems creatively and resolving their legal needs. He/she should demonstrate strong willingness to engage in, and take the lead for, building creative strategies and solutions to legal and commercial issues and to support organisational management and growth. He/she will support the implementation of policies, procedures, and best practices by gaining a thorough understanding and compliance with internal practices.
To provide legal advice, direction and support for M&A and other strategic transaction to the various business units within the Singtel group of companies in Singapore and including across the Asia Pacific region.
Provide strategic and operational direction and to lead shared services and legal excellence function to optimize resources, improve efficiency, productivity, and compliance.
Make an Impact by
- Providing legal support in relation to M&A activities of the Singtel group (including overseas subsidiaries), encompassing reviewing, drafting and negotiating M&A documentation, such as sale and purchase/investment agreements, joint venture agreements and shareholder agreements.
- Providing legal support for Regional Associates and other Singtel investments
- Providing legal support for Treasury matters including bilateral/syndicated loans and bonds/notes/MTN documentation and other financing related matters.
- Working collaboratively with other stakeholders within Singtel to ensure internal policy and corporate governance is adhered to ensure Singtel Group’s interests are protected and furthered in various transactions
- Project managing and independently running and driving transactions
- Implementing best practices, policies and procedures for the shared services function and to train the contracts managers to be competent and able to support the businesses effectively.
- Monitoring and analysing key performance indicators of the shared services team, identify areas for improvement and implement action plans
- Providing leadership and mentorship to the contracts managers ensuring career growth and development
- Ensuring cost savings for Singtel upon operationalising the shared services function.
Skills for Success
To excel in this role, you should have:
Education and Qualifications:
- Law Degree from recognized university and preferably be admitted to the Singapore bar.
- An Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore with at least 10 years’ post-qualifying experience in a law firm or inhouse, with M&A expertise.
Technical / Professional Skills:
- M&A expertise
- Familiarity with SGX Listing Manual
Non-Technical / Soft Skills:
- Good communication skills
- A team player, and willing to explore and learn new skillsets
Rewards that Go Beyond
- Hybrid work arrangements
- Full suite of health and wellness benefits
- Ongoing training and development programs
- Internal mobility opportunities
We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for our employees & customers and will require all prospective employees to be fully vaccinated.
Hiring Manager: Prema S, Group General Counsel
Talent Acquisition Manager: Charis Chua
Headquartered in Singapore, Singtel has 140 years of operating experience and played a pivotal role in the country’s development as a major communications hub. Optus, our subsidiary in Australia, is a leader in integrated telecommunications, constantly raising the bar in innovative products and services.
We are also strategically invested in leading companies in Asia and Africa, including Bharti Airtel (India, South Asia and Africa), Telkomsel (Indonesia), Globe Telecom (the Philippines) and Advanced Info Service (Thailand). We work closely with our associates, leveraging our scale in networks, customer reach and extensive operational experience to lead and shape the communications industry.
Together, the Group serves over 700 million mobile customers around world. Singtel is one of the largest listed Singapore companies on the Singapore Exchange by market capitalisation.
The Group has a vast network of offices throughout Asia Pacific, Europe and the USA, and employs more than 23,000 staff worldwide.